Page Title

Skip to main content
A series of individuals enjoying their activities. Actor portrayal.

Frequently Asked Questions

Looking for answers? You’ve come to the right place.

Here are our most Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

Program overview

What is Advancing Access?

Advancing Access is a patient support program that can provide information on coverage and financial support options for individuals who have been prescribed a Gilead HIV treatment, HIV prevention, or COVID-19 medication.

What support offerings are available through Advancing Access?
  • Co-pay coupon card
  • Patient Assistance Program/Medication Assistance Program (PAP/MAP)
  • Benefits investigations
  • Prior authorization and appeals process information
  • Information on additional support and coverage options
Does Advancing Access offer resources to help understand the prior authorization and appeals process?

Advancing Access program specialists can conduct a benefits investigation to help you and your patient understand their insurance coverage and any prior authorization or appeals process requirements. In Support Offerings and Resources, you will find sample letters of medical necessity and appeal, as well as a prior authorization checklist and claim forms.

Enrolling my patients in Advancing Access

How do I enroll a patient in Advancing Access?
How do I register to use the online enrollment portal?

To register, go to and follow the steps. If you need help registering, please call the iAssist helpdesk at 1-877-450-4412 for assistance.

What fields are necessary for a complete enrollment form?

All required sections of the enrollment form, along with your signature and your patient’s signature, are required to be completed.

I submitted an enrollment form on my patient’s behalf. How will I be notified if they are eligible for PAP/MAP?

Advancing Access will send a fax to your office letting you know if your patient was eligible for PAP/MAP. Additionally, we will let your patient know via their preferred communication method listed on their enrollment form.

The Patient Assistance Program/Medication Assistance Program (PAP/MAP)

What is the Patient Assistance Program (PAP)?

The Gilead Advancing Access Patient Assistance Program (PAP) provides prescribed HIV treatment and COVID-19 medications free of charge to eligible individuals.

What is the Medication Assistance Program (MAP)?

The Gilead Advancing Access Medication Assistance Program (MAP) provides prescribed HIV prevention medication free of charge to eligible individuals.

How can I enroll my patient in PAP/MAP?
I submitted a faxed enrollment form on my patient’s behalf. How will my patient or I be notified if they are eligible for PAP/MAP?

Advancing Access will notify you and your patient if they were eligible based on the preferred communication method your patient listed on the enrollment form.

Does my patient need to be residing in the United States to be eligible for PAP/MAP?

To be eligible to enroll into PAP/MAP, individuals need to be residents of the United States, Puerto Rico, or US Territories, in addition to meeting other eligibility criteria. Proof of residency may be required.

How long does PAP/MAP enrollment last?

Standard PAP/MAP enrollment is for up to 12 months, pending ongoing eligibility checks.

What if my patient needs to stay on PAP/MAP after their year of enrollment?

If there is ongoing need for support and the patient remains eligible for PAP/MAP, then they can re-enroll.

Will Advancing Access notify me and/or my patient when my patient’s PAP/MAP enrollment is expiring?

Advancing Access will reach out to you and your patient 60 days prior to the enrollment end date.

How do I re-enroll individuals in PAP/MAP?

There are several ways to re-enroll eligible individuals into PAP/MAP. You can fax in a new enrollment form or, if you are a registered user of the online enrollment portal, you may be able to re-enroll eligible individuals electronically.

Can I re-enroll my patients through the online enrollment portal?

Many individuals who need ongoing PAP/MAP support can be re-enrolled through the online enrollment portal. Follow these steps:

  1. Log in to the portal as you normally would
  2. On the HOME screen, click on DRAFTS - located in the panel on the left side of the screen
  3. Once in the drafts section, click on Re-Verification Drafts. Select or search for specific individual
  4. Click on the appropriate individual. You will be routed to the re-enrollment service offering

If you have questions about using this process, please call an Advancing Access program specialist at 1-800-226-2056.

I was told that my patient needed a denial letter from Medicaid or AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) to be re-enrolled into PAP/MAP. Why is this?

Generally speaking, PAP/MAP is for eligible uninsured individuals without access to additional support and coverage options for obtaining their medication. If your patient is eligible for Medicaid or the AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP), they may not be eligible to re-enroll in PAP/MAP. Please have your patient call Advancing Access to see if they may be able to re-enroll in PAP/MAP.

What should I do if my patient no longer needs PAP/MAP?

Please notify Advancing Access by calling 1-800-226-2056 to have the individual withdrawn from PAP/MAP.

How PAP/MAP prescriptions are filled

My patient is enrolled in PAP/MAP. Where can they fill their prescription?

Your patient can fill their PAP/MAP prescription at any participating retail pharmacy. Please use the Pharmacy Finder to locate a participating pharmacy. Additionally, Advancing Access offers a mail order option for patients, where the product can be delivered to your patient’s home or to an alternate address of their choice.

How do I find out if my patient’s pharmacy participates in PAP/MAP?

There are over 40,000 participating retail pharmacies. While using the Pharmacy Finder, enter the pharmacy name and ZIP code to see if the patient’s pharmacy participates in PAP/MAP. If they don’t already have a pharmacy, they can enter their ZIP code to find participating pharmacies near them.

My patient does not want to get their medication at a retail pharmacy. Can their PAP/MAP medication be sent to them?

If your patient would like their medication sent directly to them, they can select “mail order delivery” while filling out the enrollment form. Your patient can also call Advancing Access at 1-800-226-2056 for assistance.

The Gilead Advancing Access co-pay program

What is the Gilead Advancing Access co-pay program?

The Gilead Co-pay Coupon Card may help eligible, commercially insured individuals lower their out-of-pocket (OOP) costs. It is not available to your patient if they are enrolled in any federally or state-funded prescription drug program, such as Medicare, Medicare Part D, or Medicaid. For more information and to see if your patient is eligible, view terms and conditions.

How can my patient enroll in the co-pay program?

Your patient can go to the co-pay program page to enroll.

How much does the co-pay coupon card cover?

The coverage amount varies depending on the medication. For the most up-to-date amounts, view co-pay program benefits and terms and conditions.

Does my patient’s co-pay coupon card expire?

No, the co-pay coupon card does not expire. Once your patient is enrolled in the co-pay program, your patient keeps the same card for the duration of their enrollment in the program. For information about the annual coverage amount for the co-pay program, please visit the co-pay program page.

What happens if a patient loses their co-pay coupon card or information?

The patient can go to Replace a Card on the co-pay program page. If help is still needed, the patient can call an Advancing Access program specialist at 1-800-226-2056.

A patient received a co-pay coupon card from the HCP’s office but lost it. How can the patient get a new one?

If the patient has not yet activated that card, the patient can go to Enroll on the co-pay program page. If the patient had already activated the card but lost it, the patient should select Replace to retrieve card information. If help is still needed, call an Advancing Access program specialist at 1-800-226-2056.

If a patient changes medications, can they still use the same co-pay coupon card?

If a patient is prescribed a different Gilead HIV treatment or HIV prevention medication, they can continue to use the same card for the new medication. However, SUNLENCA® (lenacapavir) has its own specific co-pay cards for which the patient must enroll separately.

Information icon

Still need help? Call 1-800-226-2056 to speak with a program specialist. We are available Monday through Friday, 9 AM to 8 PM ET. Please let us know if English is not your preferred language.